Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Lodge of Four Virtues No: 6275
With the cessation of hostilities in 1945, those returning Brethren interested in advancement, particularly in the Lodge of Temperance No. 169, were faced with having a long wait to reach the Chair. This stimulated a feeling that a daughter Lodge of Temperance was warranted and, in consequence, W. Bro A Merrell and W. Bro J T Sharpe LGR, and other distinguished Brethren engaged themselves to bring about its foundation. The Lodge of Four Virtues was thus consecrated at Freemasons' Hall. The Lodge joined the Province on 11th September 1991.
The explanation of the first tracing board tells us that the four tassels on the mosaic pavement are "...meant to remind us of the four cardinal virtues, namely Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence, and Justice, the whole of which, tradition informs us, were constantly practised by a majority of our ancient Brethren". These four virtues are emblematically depicted in the Lodge's Emblem by the Volume of the Sacred Law, a Sprig of Acacia, the Charity Pouch and a Dagger. As far as we can ascertain, the Lodge, which is now closed, did not have a Banner. Whilst the closing Secretary left a CD ROM with extensive files, papers, etc, there is no mention of a Banner.