Masonic Province of Hertfordshire
Tercentenary - History Project
Banners of Knights Templar in Hertfordshire (Continued)
John F Cleeves Preceptory No: 315
The Preceptory was consecrated on 31st January, 1948 and was created to recognise the service of its namesake - the Provincial Prior of Herfordshire from 1933 to 1948 (fifteen years’ service). He retired due to ill health having been a founder member who made a great contribution to the formation of the Preceptory, not knowing that his name would be used until the Consecration took place.
John F Cleeves presented the banner to the Preceptory immediately after the Consecration and it was then dedicated on the same date.
It is formed of the KT red cross with the coat of arms of its benefactor, John F Cleeves. He dedicated his personal sword to the Preceptory and this is still in use to this day.
A new banner was made as the original one was falling apart due to wear and tear - albeit there was no change in design between the old and the new banners. This was arranged and supplied by the Preceptor of the year, E Kt Brian Lowings, (with contributions from all the members of the Preceptory) and was dedicated by the then Provincial Prior R E Kt Brian Blanchard on the 24th September 2010.