Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Bishops Hatfield Lodge No: 6893
Bishop's Hatfield Lodge was consecrated at the Cafe Royal in central London on 22nd September 1949. The intention was to have a Hatfield Lodge meeting in Hatfield on Saturdays four times a year. Eight of the fifteen founders were residents of Hatfield, including the then Marquess of Salisbury. It was intended that membership should be formed predominantly from residents of that town, or brethren with strong connections with the area.
The name Bishop's Hatfield was taken from the reference to Hatfield in the Domesday Book. The Bishop's Mitre was adopted as the Lodge emblem and is situated in the centre of the banner in Red and Gold. Meetings were originally held in the Red Lion, Hatfield, then at Brookmans Park Hotel, and since 1970 at Ashwell House, St Albans.
The banner was dedicated 7th January 1956 and donated by W.Bro.Don Fordyce. The Bishop’s mitre forms the centrepiece of the banner and below it are the names of the founders, whilst the four side panels list the names of the Past Masters.