Masonic Province of Hertfordshire
Tercentenary - History Project
Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Hemelhemstede Lodge No: 7923
The lodge was consecrated on 29th October 1963 and meetings were originally held in St. Mary's Hall which was also the meeting place of the mother Lodge, King Henry VIII No 1757. The building no longer exists and both lodges now meet at Ashwell House, St. Albans.
Hemelhemstede was the way the town name was spelled in the middle ages, as opposed to the present town name of Hemel Hempstead, and the banner was intended to show part of the coat of arms of the manor of Ashridge, which is close to the town. However, eventually the banner was made with a different theme, and shows the charter tower of the old bury in Gadebridge Park, Hemel Hempstead.
The banner was presented by W.Bros J.C.Hendey and L.R.Bradberry and dedicated on the 12th May 1975. The lodge is now closed and the banner stored at the Provincial Office