Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Hertfordshire Regiment Lodge No: 4537
In the latter part of 1922, the Worshipful Master and a past master of Hertford Lodge No. 403, W. Bros A R Wilson and Major P E Longmore who had served with the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire regiment during the 1914/18 War, thought it would be a great idea to continue the comradeship formed at that time by means of a masonic lodge. Accordingly they called a preliminary meeting on 9th December 1922.
It was agreed to form a lodge consisting of past and present members of both the Hertfordshire Regiment and the late lst and 2nd Battalions of the Bedfords and Hertfords raised during the First World War. The two regiments were merged to become the Beds and Herts shortly after the war. The lodge was consecrated on 26th September, 1923.
Qualification for membership up to 1967 required a candidate to have been connected or served in the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire regiments.
In 1967 it was open to accept candidates from all army regiments and in 1969 it was open to any suitable candidate who had served in any of the forces. Later in 1993 it was open to any person whether or not he had any military connections.
The first Lodge banner was provided by W.Bro.Gilbertson the first Master and presented with due ceremony in 1927. This banner has not been located to date. A new banner was presented by the members in 1992 and dedicated on 20th October 1993. The central emblem of the banner depicts a reclining Hertfordshire Hart under a crown and above three standing rifles.