Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
High Stone Lodge No: 4498
High Stone Lodge was sponsored by Wanstead Lodge No. 3524, nine of whose members were amongst the twenty one founders. The consecration took place at Freemasons' Hall, Great Queen Street on 26th April, 1923 and was conducted by the then Grand Secretary W.Bro P Colville Smith MA.
The High Stone is at the junction of Hollybush Hill and New Wanstead, in East London near the eastern boundary of the parish at the junction of the roads from Woodford and Woodford Bridge. It is a restored 18th-century obelisk set up on an earlier stump which has been traditionally described as a Roman milestone. Some say the obelisk also marks the former gibbet and execution site. The confusion arises from the fact that many executions did take place at the milestone, especially of highwaymen. But the faded and worn engravings on the base do indicate a former Milestone. It is the main feature of the lodge crest. The lodge moved into the Province of Hertfordshire on 1st March 1985.
The banner was presented by W.Bro. Oscar Pidduck who had been Director of Ceremonies since 1931 and died in 1964. in his will he bequeathed the cost of the banner which depicts the High Stone in Leytonstone. and was dedicated in the Abercorn rooms in London on 1st June 1965 by W.Bro The Rev'd F.J. Dove MA, PGD.
The first Lodge Banner was provided by W.Bro.Gilbertson the first Master and presented with due ceremony in 1927. A new Banner was dedicated 20th October 1993. The central emblem of the Banner depicts a reclining Hertfordshire Hart under a crown and above three standing rifles.