top of page
Masonic Province of Hertfordshire
Tercentenary - History Project
Banners of Knights Templar in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Joseph Moffet Preceptory No: 383
The Preceptory was consecrated on 30th October, 1963
The banner central shield has four quarters, The KT cross, the Malta cross, the Hertfordshire Hart and a castle, which is the coat of arms of the town of Berkhampstead. The latter is surrounded by eleven golden orbs which indicates that the town was once part of the Duchy of Cornwall. The name of Berkhampstead is also on the surround.
The date of 1963 is also depicted as A.O.845. The Knights Templar start their calendar with the formation of the order in 1118 AD. Anno Ordinis (A.O.), which means "In the year of the Order" is the terminology used. This deducts 1,118 from the present year; therefore the year 1963 becomes A.O.845.
bottom of page