top of page
Masonic Province of Hertfordshire
Tercentenary - History Project
Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Verulam Lodge No: 6131
Verulam Lodge was consecrated by RW Bro Admiral Sir Lionel Halsey, Provincial Grand Master on 20th October, 1945. Verulam is a family Lodge, and during the first seventy years, fifteen brethren have introduced their sons to masonry, eight of whom have so far progressed to become master. The 5th Earl of Verulam was an active member, but sadly died two days before he was due to be installed as master.
The banner depicts an image of St Albans Cathedral with the letter V”. This does not stand for “Verulam” as many presume, but for “Victory” and was included by the founders as a tribute to those freemasons who gave their lives during the Second World War which had just ended.
An interesting anomaly is that the consecration took place on 27th October 1945, yet the banner states 20th October 1945. The banner was dedicated 16th September 1950.
bottom of page