Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Asylums Board Lodge No: 2842
The lodge was consecrated by VW Bro Sir Edward Letchworth, Grand Secretary, at the Cafe Royal on 29th April, 1901. It was established for the members and past members of the Metropolitan Asylums Board, which had been formed in 1867 to have responsibility for some, but not all, mental hospitals in the London area, and to operate a number of specialist hospitals for infectious diseases and tuberculosis. The restrictive qualifications for members was relaxed in 1912 in favour of sons of members, and in 1918 all restrictive qualifications were waived.
After ninety-three years of meeting at the Cafe Royal, it was resolved to meet at The Halsey Masonic Hall, Cheshunt, and the lodge transferred to the Province of Hertfordshire on 1st June 1993.
The crest of the lodge, shown on the banner, is taken from the crest of the Metropolitan Asylums Board and represents St. Luke, the beloved physician. The present banner was consecrated at the centenary celebration of 1st May 2001, having been designed by W.Bro. Colin Childs PJGD in 2000. The brochure records that the old banner of 60 years was retired and presumably is stored at Great Queen Street.