Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Universal Brotherhood No: 5785
The lodge was consecrated on 27th April 1939, and formally joined the Province of Hertfordshire from London in April 1998 where it met at the Masonic Hall, Radlett. Unfortunately, at the meeting held on 14th April 1999 the members voted to close and the Lodge was erased on 14th June 2000. A number of the members joined Tree of Life Lodge No.9324. In August 2017, during works being carried out at the Masonic hall, the Banner of Universal Brotherhood Lodge was found in the roof space. The banner which is in good condition is now stored at Fleet House.
It depicts a pair of clasped hands in front of a sunburst over the globe and a view of two distant snow-capped hills under the all-seeing eye. The two hills represent the Holy Mounts, Moriah and Horeb, in the Wilderness of Sinai.
An embroidered panel on the reverse states: ‘Made and presented by W.Bro.Stephen W. Holmes and his wife in appreciation of the support of all the Brethren in making his year as Master so enjoyable 1981-1982’.
The badge on the banner is the same as that used by Welwyn Garden City Limited and depicts a township in rural surroundings high above the sea to symbolise the healthy Garden City atmosphere. In place of the usual columns to each side, there appear to be ribbons and festoons. The original lodge banner was dedicated in December 1960 and cost £66, but after some 50 years of usage it was begining to show its age. Thus a new banner was commissioned and the old banner eventually retired when the new one was dedicated in 2017 by Jay Patel, APGM.