Masonic Province of Hertfordshire
Tercentenary - History Project
Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Hoddesdon Lodge No: 5875
The lodge was formed by the endeavours of sixteen Founders of whom ten were past masters, drawn mainly from lodges meeting at Cheshunt, Herts, including The James Terry Lodge and Waltham Cross Lodge. A distinction held by the lodge is that of being the first lodge to be consecrated in Hertfordshire, following the outbreak of the second world war. The consecrating officer on 22nd July, 1943 was Admiral Sir Lionel Halsey GCMG.
The motto of the lodge banner is, 'Magna Est Veritus Prevalet' , 'Truth is mighty and shall prevail' and was adopted by the founders. The motto originates from Sir Marmaduke Rawdon (or Roydon or Royden) who came in 1620 to reside in Hoddesdon and built Rawdon House (still standing) in the High Street. This motto is inscribed in the wall of the ancient “de la Marche Chapel” which he had restored, and on that site now sits St Pauls, the Parish Church of Hoddesdon.
The motto is believed to have been adopted by the founders because of its ‘masonically appropriate’ nature. The banner was presented by W.Bro Horace Maxfield, founder and first director of ceremonies of the lodge, to mark the 10th anniversary. The banner was dedicated on 22nd October 1953. The central portion of the banner is occupied by a shield which represents the original four Wards of the Hoddesdon Urban District, Hoddesdon, Rye Park, Broxbourne and Wormley as follows:
Hoddesdon: A Saint Catherine's Wheel which denotes the Patron Saint of the ancient chapel which stood on the site of the present Clock Tower in the town centre.
Rye Park: Represented by the facade of Rye House, renowned as the place where plans were made by conspirators in 1693 to kill the then king - Charles II.
Broxbourne: Symbolised by a badger, used by the Ancient families of Broxbourne on their coat-of-arms, and this animal can be found even today living within the nearby woods..
Wormley: The Parish of St Laurence is represented by the griddle of grid-iron on which the Patron Saint was martyred.
The oak tree in the centre indicates the wooded nature of the area.