Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
East Hertfordshire Lodge No: 3748
The lodge was consecrated on 19th May, 1915. The first minute records that, 'Several prominent freemasons residing or having interests in the Province of Hertfordshire considered the time had come when it was desirable that a new Lodge should be formed in the province which should be conducted strictly in accordance with the highest traditions of freemasonry and kept exclusively for men of good position and took a sincere interest in freemasonry'.
The exact origins of the Lodge are difficult to ascertain because of the loss of records along with the original lodge banner during the years of the second world war. However the provincial archive contains a detailed record of the lodge at its jubilee meeting. This states that a new Banner was presented by W.Bro.WL Restall and dedicated by the PGM 13th May 1924.
The current banner was dedicated 13th January 2000. The central design of the banner shows the Hertfordshire Hart in water in front of a red brick castle-like building. Whilst the lodge history states that this could be the Eleanor Cross, it is obviously not as it is clearly dissimilar to that structure. At this stage it seems far more likely to be Hertford Castle or possibly, due to the pointed gable end, an artists depiction of the lodge's first meeting place - the Great House at Cheshunt.