Masonic Province of Hertfordshire
Tercentenary - History Project
Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Garston Lodge No: 5644
Watford was growing rapidly in the 1930's. Several local masons, joined with the younger masons moving into the area, including staff of Merchant Taylors' School who moved from the City Of London in 1933 and petitioned for a new Lodge. Garston is an Anglo Saxon word meaning 'Grass Town', and gave its name to the new lodge.
The banner was presented by Bro.Dr.R.F.Knight in memory of his father W.Bro.J.T.Knight and was dedicated 1st December 1966. It depicts the original lodge emblem being Garston as it was in 1930 and is described in the consecration oration of 8th April, 1937 as "A green field with a church in the background that reminds us that behind us is God". The Hart in the centre reminds us of the loyalty due to the province whilst the town surrounding it reminds us of the duty we owe to our fellow men’.