top of page
Masonic Province of Hertfordshire
Tercentenary - History Project
Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Gresham Lodge No: 869
The banner depicts a portrait of Sir Thomas Gresham (c1519/21 - 1579) who according to the respected Masonic author Robert Lomas in his book "The Secrets of Freemasonry (Revealing the Suppressed Tradition)” ruled the craft as a joint Grand Master in 1567 with Francis Russell, Earl of Bedford. Apparently, Gresham had control of the southern division whilst Bedford held the north. It should be noted that this would be some 150 years before the founding of the first Grand Lodge in 1717.
Sir Thomas Gresham, is shown with the ‘grasshopper’ from the Gresham coat of arms above the portrait and which can also be seen on the Royal Exchange building in the city of London. Below the portrait is the Hart of Hertfordshire standing in water but facing right as opposed to the normal left. The lodge was consecrated on 19th June, 1861.
A new banner was dedicated 10th August 1940. This banner was renovated and restored in 1994, and re-dedicated on the 22nd October 2011 at the 150th Anniversary. There is no record of a former banner.
bottom of page