Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
King Harold Lodge No: 1327
It is recorded that the proposed meeting place of the lodge was a mere mile from the ancient Waltham Abbey, reputed burial ground of King Harold, therefore the Saxon King’s name and crest (red shield with six Lions or Leopards heads) was adopted by the lodge. The banner depicts the arms of Harold over a six pointed star. Underneath are the words Waltham New Town.
The death of Edward the Confessor in 1066 without a direct heir led to conflicting claims as to whom the throne had been promised. Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex, proclaimed himself king, but fate led to his reign being less than a year as he was killed at the Battle of Hastings on 14 October 1066, when Duke William of Normandy defeated the Saxons. Eventually, Harold’s body was returned to Waltham for burial in his favourite church. It is likely that his two brothers were also buried at Waltham. The lodge has been responsible for sponsoring a number of Lodges within Hertfordshire.
the lodge was consecrated on 27th September 1870 and the first banner was presented to the lodge in 1874. This banner no longer appears to exist as in 1966 it was stated that the banner was dilapidated and presumably disposed of, a replica was commissioned and dedicated on 20th April 1967.