The formation of the lodge was entirely the conception of C M Cox who served Berkhamsted School for almost fifty years as master, headmaster, and governor. There was such a ready response in 1925 to a letter in the school magazine from all the old boys who were freemasons, that the Lodge was founded within two years with thirty six Members. It was consecrated on 21st May 1927.
The banner was dedicated 28th March 1987, and was funded by a generous donation by W.Bro Dick Knight. The central emblem is adapted from the school badge complete with the latin inscription “Virtus Laudata Crescit” translations of which are “Energy praised Grows” or "Greatness increases with praise".