Banners of Craft Lodges in Hertfordshire (Continued)
Temple Bar Lodge No: 5962
The Temple Bar Lodge was consecrated at Freemasons' Hall, London on 30th June, 1944 where the consecrating officer was RW Bro Admiral Sir Lionel Halsey, Provincial Grand Master, VW Bro Canon F Halsey, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, being the Installing Master.
The lodge crest, the Temple Bar Gate which stood near the Law Courts in London was taken to Theobald's Park in Hertfordshire when the central roadway arch became too narrow for the London traffic.
The first banner was presented by W.Bro.F.J.Spackman as a token of remembrance of his late wife. The dedication ceremony was 21st July 1947 despite what is incorrectly written later in the subsequent banner dedication of 2001. This banner was painted on a silk background and became badly cracked.
A new banner was funded by Bro.George Davis as a ‘thank you’ for his 21 years in Masonry and is made of beige silk moire with an embroidered design. The centre panel shows the Temple bar while situated in Theobalds Park. This banner was dedicated 12th December 2001.
In the December meeting of the Court of Common Council 2001, the Corporation of London agreed to fund the return of Temple Bar to the City of London. At a cost of just over £3.0m, funded by the Corporation along with donations from the Temple Bar Trust and several Livery Companies - Temple Bar was dismantled, and rebuilt as a gateway to the central piazza at the Paternoster Square redevelopment and was officially opened by the Lord Mayor of London, on the 10th November 2004.